Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cookies? Wands? Tuiles?

Whoo boy. These cookies are probably the first (and certainly not last) complete and total disaster on Baking and Mistaking. Come on in, and I'll share with you the story.
Disclaimer: This is a picture of what the cookies were supposed to look like:
(picture from cookbook - Cookie and Biscuit Bible).
I can't show you how they turned out....because they didn't.
Let me explain. These cookies are entitled Striped Cylinder Cookies, and they are a wand-type cookie, which means they are baked as flat rounds, and then rolled up into a wand shape while still warm. Not the case here.
Let's begin. The dough is a simple egg whites, sugar, flour and melted butter mixture. (I'll provide the recipe at the end of the post for anyone daring enough to try - please tell me your experience!)
Once the dough is formed, the recipe instructs you to drop teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper and spread into thin rounds, then decorate with two different colored chocolates (they used red and green, I used dark and white). Done and done.
First sheet goes into the oven.
While they're in, I prepare a couple wooden spoons by greasing their handles, and getting them ready to wrap the cookie rounds around.
Ok, all set.
I pull the cookies out of the oven, gently remove one of the rounds from the pan and attempt to wrap it around the handle.
Yep, you guessed it, this is where it all went wrong. So wrong. The cookies were too thick to really wrap, and barely made it once around the spoon, and all the decorated white and dark chocolate on top began cracking and falling out of the cookie.
But I didn't give up. Oh no, I persisted. I put another sheet in the oven, trying desperately to make them thinner and larger in diameter. But to no avail. Same problems.
Now, with chocolate smeared all over my hands, I attempt to put the last pan in the oven, this time with no attempt to roll them, I merely laid them over a rolling pin to harden, like a tuile.
At this point in my vastly unsuccessful attempt to master a new technique, my friends Miriam and Racheli showed up.
While the cookies were scrutinized and laughed at, there remained on the counter the two small bags of white and dark chocolate I had used to create the decoration that refused to stay on.
What happens when you combine three girls, a sheet of parchment paper and chocolate in piping bags?
Creativity!
We spent about twenty minutes piping our names, flowers, hearts, and some intriguing blobs.
I decorated some cupcakes I had lying around with some of the most promising pieces.
I present to you here, black and white heart:

And here, creepy alien:

Well, at least something fun came of it! Plus, its always fun to experiment - I highly recommend it.

Tip of the Day: Before piping or decorating with icing, frosting or chocolate, test it out on a piece of parchment paper or a plate before hand to gauge the flow of the material, and the pressure you need to get the right line.

Recipe:
Striped Cylinder Cookies:
1 oz each melted white and dark chocolates
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup melted butter

Whisk egg whites in a bowl until stiff. Add the sugar gradually, whisking well after each addition.
Add the flour and butter and whisk until smooth.
Drop four separate teaspoonfulls of batter onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, and spread into thin rounds
Decorate with chocolates from piping bags in zigzag and line patterns.
Bake one sheet at a time for 3 minutes at 375 F until pale golden.
Taking one cookie out of the oven at a time, roll around a greased spoon handle, and leave for a few seconds to set until slipping off onto wire rack to cool.

Good Luck with this one!




4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Have the exact same book, just tried the recipe and had the EXACT same problem. Going to see if I can find another recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mrs. D -

    Wow, I'd forgotten about these. Let me know if you find a successful recipe!

    ReplyDelete