Monday, November 9, 2009

Double Chocolate Raspberry Bars

You can make fun of me all you want for having practically every other post on this blog dedicated to something raspberry, but I don't care. Raspberry and chocolate is a great combination - and these are no exception.
These are double chocolate raspberry bars - basically everything good in life in one bar.
If there's anything I'm more obsessed with than raspberry it's bar cookies - all the individuality of a cookie, without the rolling and dropping and scooping. And without the multiple batches. Seriously people, bar cookies are the way to go.

So much so that I bought a bar cookie cookbook recently, but more on that later.
Back to these now. The recipe called for them to be made in a 10x15 inch pan, which, though I do have, was entirely too much cookie for me, especially since I have this strange predilection for traveling on mass transit with baked goods. So instead I took 3/4 of the recipe, which worked out pretty well considering my limited math skills. Unless these were supposed to be entirely different and I didn't know, because sometimes I'm pretty sure that 1/2 plus 1/2 is 2. Then again, sometimes I'm not.
Tip of the Day: When you half, third, triple or eighth a recipe - it's important to know which ingredients need to be exact and which don't. A little less or more oats or chocolate chips won't be crucial, but your baking powder or soda should be exact.

Recipe: (from Cookie Madness)

2 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 sticks (18 tbsp) butter or margarine, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup seedless raspberry jam
Additional 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Stir the flour, cocoa powder, oats, sugars, salt and baking soda together in a bowl.
Stir in the cooled, melted butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Press about 1/2 the mixture in to a greased, 9x13" pan.
Spread the jam on top carefully.
Crumble the remaining dough on top.
Bake on 350F for 40 minutes. Immediately after removing from oven, sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top. Let cool in pan, then cut in to bars.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy.
    I made these cookie-bars.
    Mine didn't come out looking anything like yours. The family still gobbled them up, but they didn't see your lovely pictures so they couldn't tell anything was amiss.

    I was forced to use strawberry jam instead of raspberry, but that shouldn't have made a difference to the appearance, just the taste.

    I thought maybe it was because I didn't wait long enough for the marg to cool after melting it.

    I decided to double-check the original recipe from "Cookie Madness". It calls for 3 cups of four. 3/4 x 3 is "2 1/4"
    but your recipe says just "1/4 cups four"

    I hope to try these again....

    ReplyDelete