Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Coconut Shortbread Cookies

I love coconut. I unabashedly, unequivocally love coconut. But I know many people do not share my sentiments. And I'm here to tell you: you're missing out.
These buttery, light coconut shortbread cookies were completely addictive. I could have eaten 20. By which I mean 40.
Though the recipe called for the dough to be rolled out and then cut in shapes, I found that near impossible to accomplish. Instead I pinched off small pieces of the dough, rolled them in to balls and flattened them on the baking sheet. It worked just fine.
Possibly the only thing better than biting in to one of these cookies is the unbelievable smell the toasted coconut gave my whole, tiny apartment. It was heaven.
Tip of the Day: If any cookie dough proves difficult to roll out or work with, a quick stint in the freezer or fridge will likely make it more manageable. And keep your dough there in between batches as well.

Recipe:
(via Epicurious)

1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 tsps kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 2/3 cups flour

Spread the coconut on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in the oven on 325 F for 6 to 8 minutes.
Be careful, or it will burn.
Beat the butter and sugar together.
Stir in the salt and vanilla.
Beat in half the flour at a time, then mix in the toasted coconut.
Refrigerate or freeze the dough for at least an hour.
Either roll out the dough and cut in to circles or roll into balls and flatten on baking sheet.
Bake on 325 F for about 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Cool on the sheets for ten minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.

Makes about 80 cookies. I halved it.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like coconut. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are right up my alley! LOVE coconut. Will give them a try!

    ReplyDelete