Monday, November 23, 2009

Cinnamon Squares and Silence

Sometimes, I think I talk too much. OK, I definitely talk too much. So this time, instead of jabbering on incessantly, I'll share with you some pictures, a recipe, and a quick tip.
Enjoy the silence.

My streusel sunk to the bottom (oops I just couldn't help myself). I think it's because my chocolate was too big - I should have chopped it up more.
Since I've broken the moratorium on talking, (well that lasted a while, didn't it) I might as well tell you that this produced an impossibly light and moist cinnamon cake that was really delicious. OK I'm done now.

Tip of the Day: When dividing batter in half, I always eyeball it, but err on the side of putting more in the bottom layer, since, like here, whatever you're placing in between layers has a tendency to sink.

Recipe:
(Dorie Greenspan)

Streusel:
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsps instant espresso powder

Cake:
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) butter or margarine, melted and cooled
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, or 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Frosting:
6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 1/2 tbsps butter or margarine

Mix the sugar, cinnamon and espresso for the streusel together in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
Make a well in the center and add in the milk, eggs and vanilla.
Gently whisk the wet and dry ingredients together until well mixed.
Then fold in the melted butter until just combined.

Scrape half of the batter into a greased 8x8 inch pan and smooth the top.
Sprinkle the chocolate on top and dust with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Cover with the rest of the batter and smooth the top again.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes on 350 F., or until the cake is puffed and beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan Cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert on to wire rack to cool completely.

Melt the chocolate and butter for the frosting together.
Spread over the cooled cake and cut in to squares.

1 comment:

  1. I have Dorie's book and love it. I have not made these yet but thanks to you, I plan to make them.

    I am following you now. Come on over and see if you like my blog and follow me, too.

    Thanks for the great recipes.

    ReplyDelete