Thursday, August 27, 2009

Twenty-Five Years

Twenty-five years ago, these two got married. Yesterday, they ate cookies.
I've mentioned before how much I dislike nuts in my baked goods. But my parents, who celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary yesterday, love them. Walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews - they can't get enough.

So they really miss out when it comes to my baking, as I omit nuts from every recipe I find. So this week, I decided it was time to make something nut-filled, and after some intense googling, I created Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip and Walnut Cookies.They were a pretty easy cookie - I mixed up the peanut butter and butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, flour and baking soda.
Then I stopped for a minute to clean up the sugar that fell when I dropped the bag on the floor.
I was very happy to have a vacuum at this moment.
Then came the add-ins. Walnuts. Ick. The things I do.
I used a cookie scoop to measure these out nice and evenly (which they still weren't, since I didn't really pack the scoop right each time), which was probably a little bigger than a tablespoon.
This is also the time that I found out that if I put a full cookie sheet in the middle rack of my tiny Manhattan oven, the door won't close.
Snack time!
Since I was licking the bowl after these went in the oven, I'm sure they were delicious, though I can't attest personally to that. Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to make these again without the walnuts.

Tip of the Day: If you need the same measuring cup for several ingredients, measure out the dry ingredients first, then the wet, so you don't need to wash it before using it again. When measuring something sticky like peanut butter or honey, coating the cup in cooking spray helps it slide out easier.

Recipe:

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Beat the butter and peanut butter together. Mix in the sugars
Beat in the egg and the vanilla.
Add in the flour and baking soda.
Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper or foil lined baking sheets.
Bake at 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes approximately 36 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment