Sunday, August 9, 2009

Snickerdoodle Blondies

I love blondies, and I love snickerdoodles, so Snickerdoodle Blondies definitely caught my eye!
The great thing about these blondies was how easy they were to mix up: just a quick batter of the basics - all ingredients I, and most people, keep around in their pantries.

Press the mixture down into a 9x13" pan, as you can see, I used my fingers.
Then the dough gets sprinkled liberally with a cinnamon-sugar mixture, meant to imitate the coating found on traditional snickerdoodles.
As it bakes up, the cinnamon and sugar browns and creates a delicious, sweet topping for the blondies.
I really liked these - they were so easy to make, and really delicious, plus an interesting variation on traditional blondies. They had almost a raw cookie dough texture - really rich and chewy, while still being fully cooked. I recommend these for anyone!
Tip of the Day: Keep your brown sugar tightly sealed so that it doesn't turn hard. If it does, you can try and revive it by microwaving it next to a cup of water for two to three minutes.

Recipe:
(from My Baking Addiction)

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
2 2/3 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt

Topping:
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsps cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Beat the butter and brown sugar together. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix well.
Mix in vanilla.
Gradually stir in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Press into a greased, 9x13" pan.
Combine the cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg for the topping and sprinkle on top, using all of the mixture.
Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes.
Let cool in pan before cutting.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you liked these, they are one of our faves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm.. wat if you dont have brown sugar, would the normal sugar work? :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shimmer -

    Substituting regular sugar for the brown sugar would make a huge difference in the flavor and texture of the blondies - so I wouldn't recommend it. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just wanted to tell you that i make these blondes on a regular basis and they are loved by everyone who tries them. I have many friends that constantly ask me to bake them "snickerdoodle blondies" so thanks for the fabulous recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'll never understand why this recipe doesn't call for cream of tartar. i mean I'm sure its still super good, but i just thought cream of tartar is essential for "snickerdoodles"

    ReplyDelete