Friday, August 7, 2009

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake

A new camera, fresh berries, a perfect cake. Must be summer!
I'm on a fresh berries kick, because they're oh so delicious, but unfortunately oh so expensive. This adorable little cake only needs a handful though.
This is a very simple cake, which is why I love it. Simple to make, and simple in flavor. Which isn't a bad thing. It's a very good thing.

After I made up the batter, and poured it into the pan (I used a springform, which is unnecessary, but great), I scattered the raspberries on top. Just kidding. The recipe called for me to scatter the raspberries on top. I painstakingly placed each one in a pattern.
Don't tell anyone, OK? Thanks. It was at this stage in the recipe that I should have sprinkled the remaining sugar on top. But I didn't. I forgot. So instead I did it right after I pulled it out of the oven. Nobody knew the difference - at least I hope. Compared to other things I've forgotten, this one was nothing.
After I left the cake to cool, there was only one thing left to do. Have a snack!

Tip of the Day: Don't have buttermilk on hand? For every cup of milk, add one tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar and let it sit for about ten minutes before adding to recipe.

Recipe:
(from smitten kitchen)
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, softened
2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup raspberries (about 5 oz)

Beat butter and 2/3 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
Add vanilla and zest. Beat in egg until well mixed.
Gradually mix in flour and milk alternatively.
Add in baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
Pour batter into a greased 9 inch round or springform pan.
Scatter raspberries on top, then sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Bake on 400 F for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. your new camera was worth every dime. these photos look great!

    ReplyDelete