Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Blueberry Boy Bait Bummer

After the disaster of the charlotte royale, I was hoping to put my baking mishaps behind me. That was not the case. But this one was the result of plain old forgetfulness.
This recipe for blueberry boy bait, (great name, no?) is the first blueberry baked good I'm sharing with you here. I don't do them too often, because I'm just not a huge blueberry fan. If I had to reach for a bowl of fresh berries, I'll go for raspberries or blackberries first.

But just look at these!
The batter was simple and made of the basics, and called for me to mix 1/2 of the berries in, and sprinkle half on top. Done.
It was about five minutes after I slid the pan into the oven, that I began to bash my head against the nearest wall. I'd forgotten the eggs. Oh well. What was I supposed to do? I let it keep baking and figured it couldn't be inedible. At least I didn't forget the sugar.

Five minutes after that, I began the head-bashing in earnest once more. I'd forgotten the baking powder. Why? Why, this time, had I forgotten these key ingredients that I've used hundreds of times in the past?

Well, it came out of the oven, and it looked gorgeous. I couldn't wait to eat it. Both because it looked so nice and because I was curious what it would taste like.
And it was...OK. The flavor was really nice - the brown sugar in the batter, the cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top - it was the right balance of sweetness with the slight tartness of the berries.

But the texture, predictably, was a little off. It was pretty dense and heavy, and by the next day had the slightest hint of rubberiness.

Of course while I'm listing its faults, I'm omitting the fact that 3/4 of it was eventually eaten by me and hungry family members.

I can only think how much better it would have been with all of the ingredients.

Tip of the Day: As my mother repeated several times after this disaster: "Always take out all your ingredients before you start."

Recipe:
(from Smitten Kitchen)
2 cups and 1 tsp flour, divided
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (don't defrost), divided
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Beat butter and sugars on high until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated.
Gradually add in 2 cups of flour, baking powder and salt until mixed.
Pour in milk.
Toss 1/2 cup of blueberries with 1 tsp flour. Stir gently into batter.
Spread batter in greased 9x13" pan.
Scatter remaining 1/2 cup of blueberries on top, and mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on top.
Bake at 350 F for 45 to 50 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Supposedly this is how brownies were invented - someone trying to bake a chocolate cake forgot the baking powder. So don't feel bad! I actually like dense cakes quite a bit, and your post made me start musing about possibilities... what would happen if I omitted the baking powder from this recipe? or from that recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete