Sunday, August 23, 2009

Chocolate Chip Pie

After the complete disaster that preceded this, I needed a fail-safe, guaranteed success to whip up in ten minutes, or I was going to go crazy. And I knew just what I was looking for. This recipe for chocolate chip pie.
This recipe starts with a store-bought pie crust. Yes, I could make my own, but did you see the day I was having? Frozen it is. No rolling out, no forming the edge - it's all done already. And that made me happy.
What follows next is a filling that will take five minutes to mix and contains only things you already have. It's perfect.
And one of the reasons I love it is this:
That's right, this is my 1/2 cup measurement. And it's the only one I needed for this recipe. 1/2 a cup of flour, 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. And one cup to wash up! (Is that a really strange reason to love a recipe?)

Five minutes later, I'm spreading the batter into the pie dish (defrosted - which takes about fifteen minutes) and heading for the oven...
...And one hour later I'm drooling over a beautiful golden pie. I wish I could show you what this looks like inside, but my Mommy told me it's not polite to give somebody a pie as a gift with a piece missing.
I managed to resist.

The most important thing about this pie is serving it warm. During the baking of the pie, the chocolate chips all sink to the bottom of the pie, and cold, will be a hard block of chocolate. When warmed up, its a crispy, warm, cookie top with a gooey, chocolatey bottom - sheer perfection.

However beautifully this came out, my disasters for the weekend were not over, and I managed to leave out two key ingredients in my next baking experience. Come back this week and find out why I'm such a scatterbrain.

Tip of the Day: If you're using mini chocolate chips (and I like to because they're adorable), you'll need less than if using regular sized ones. There's no exact science (and almost no such thing as too many chocolate chips) but I would average 3/4 cup of mini for every 1 cup regular.

Recipe:
(from Nestle)

1 unbaked deep dish pie shell (defrosted)
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips

Beat eggs on high. Add in sugars and flour.
Beat in softened butter. Stir in chocolate chips.
Spread in pie crust, and bake at 325 F for 55 to 60 minutes until golden brown.
Cool on wire rack.

Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is an easy recipe to follow :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know why you're such a scatterbrain! because you miss me!! i know, i know, i solve all your problems.

    ReplyDelete