Sunday, January 24, 2010

Soft Oatmeal Cookies

While I have an incredible recipe for crispy, light-as-air oatmeal cookies (which I can't find right now) already, I've really been looking for a great chewy cookie recipe as well.
These aren't it. These were good cookies, and I really liked the addition of the cocoa powder to the recipe. It added additional flavor without being noticeably chocolate-y.
Instead of being a "chewy" cookie, these were more of a "soft" cookie. Were those unnecessary quotation marks? Perhaps.
These are the type of cookie that would be good for an ice cream sandwich, or maybe in a whoopie pie of sorts, but they weren't my favorite plain. Although, my friends gobbled them up pretty quickly, so perhaps it's just a personal thing.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention, that in the making of these cookies, I actually committed the cardinal sin of (gasp!) running out of flour! Luckily I had some whole wheat flour on hand, and I used about 1 1/2 cups all-purpose and 1/4 cup whole wheat.

Tip of the Day: You can generally find two types of cocoa powder available: Natural and Dutch Process. Dutch process has an alkaline solution added to it, and is milder, and should be used with baking powder. Natural does not have anything added to it, and is a richer taste, and should be used in recipes with baking soda. The most common called for one is Dutch Process (and the only one I keep on hand).

Recipe:

1 cup (sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups oats

Cream together the butter and sugars. Mix in the vanilla.
Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined.
Add the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cocoa powder and oats to the mixture. Stir until combined.
Let dough refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Drop by tbsp on to a cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 F for about 10-12 minutes.

1 comment: