Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Coconut Strawberry Bars

As I've mentioned before, I love coconut. But I'm just about the only one I know. Well, not only, but most of my friends are family are not fans. So I don't make it all that often, but sometimes, I just have to break it out.
Yes.
I cut these in to little squares, but that just resulted in me eating about 15 of them.
I actually screwed this recipe up, because I was supposed to bake the base of the cookie first, before adding the topping, but I totally forgot, and then it was too late. I adjusted the time and temperature for baking, and I honestly can't see how it would have made much difference. These were delicious.

Tip of the Day: In most supermarkets, you can purchase both sweetened and unsweetened coconut. In general, stick with what a recipe says, but they can be quite easily interchanged with each other, without adjusting anything else in the recipe.

Recipe: (from Bars & Squares)
Crust:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold butter or margarine, cubed
3 tbsp cold water

Topping:
1/3 cup jam
2 eggs
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut

Combine the flour and sugar.
With a pastry blender or the tips of your fingers, cut in the butter until coarse crumbs are formed.
Add in water and mix until moistened.
Press dough in to a greased, 9 inch square pan.
Bake base, 10 to 12 minutes at 425 F.
Spread jam evenly over crust.
Beat the eggs until frothy. Add in sugar, and continue to beat until mixture is thick.
Stir in coconut.
Drop by teaspoonfuls over the jam and carefully spread to cover.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes on 350 F (notice the temperature change).

No comments:

Post a Comment