Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chocolate Sandwich Bars and reinvention

As you can see from the title of this post, I set out to create Chocolate Sandwich Bars. And ended up with something a little...different.
The idea for these is so simple, and so ingenious, that I can't believe I didn't think of it before. These bar cookies call for a cookie base, and a chocolate filling, that you spread between two layers of cookie batter and then bake it all together. Just genius.
Unfortunately, it didn't quite execute the way I wanted. Though I followed the recipe except leaving out the almonds in the dough, I found I didn't have nearly enough dough, and too much filling.
After I spread the first layer in, then the chocolate, I soon realized I didn't have enough filling to top them completely. But there was no way I was giving up then, so I swirled what I did have together with the chocolate and baked it up.

And of course I still ate one.
They had a great, rich, chocolatey taste, but I would definitely like there to be more cookie to the filling - and look like more like a sandwich! - and maybe a little bit sweeter. The idea is still exciting, so I'll just have to try again soon.

Tip of the Day: While I'm a big fan of using foil, disposable pans, when making bar cookies I often try to use a metal pan if I can - otherwise you don't get the nice smooth edges. Of course, that just leaves more of an excuse for the chef to "even them out"!

Recipe: (From Bars & Squares)
Note: This is the recipe in its original format. I'd recommend doubling the dough if making it.

Base:
2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
[1 cup chopped almonds - I left these out]

Filling:
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (12 ounces)
1 cup milk or whipping cream
2 tbsp butter

Melt the chocolate and butter together, and combine with the milk. Set aside to let cool.

Whisk the sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla together until smooth.
Stir in the flour, and almonds if using, until smooth.
Spread half the batter in the bottom of a greased 9x13" pan.
Spread the filling evenly over the base.
Dot the remaining batter on top and spread with a knife to cover.
Bake at 350 F for 30 to 35 minutes.
Let cool completely in pan before cutting.

1 comment:

  1. Way to save them! I still think they look delicious. Perfect for real chocolate lovers!

    ReplyDelete