Monday, April 20, 2009

Lemon Glazed Cupcakes

I know, I know, you've missed me. But I'm back. And I brought cupcakes. Lemon Glazed cupcakes that is. I love cupcakes for so many reasons. Firstly, they're just so cute. Secondly, you can justify eating several at a time, because they're so little. And thirdly, the decorating options are endless.
Not that I did any of that here. I just went with a basic glaze. I wasn't interested in waiting too long to eat them. Plus look at that just dripping down the side (and onto the counter). Mmm.
Well anyway, this recipe for Lemon Cupcakes came from recipezaar of course, and while I kept the recipe intact (actually I double it for 24 cupcakes), I ignored the recipe they included for lemon frosting, and went with a basic glaze made out of lemon juice and powdered sugar.
Here are the cupcakes before baking - this time I even used a scooper to try and make them even - you'll see soon how that turned out.
For once the doubling of the recipe actually went ok - so instead, I had to make one of the most basic mistakes to make up for it. I try to keep the mistakes on here interesting - missing ingredients, cakes that never come out of the pan, and the like. Just a few weeks ago I almost used curry powder instead of cinnamon. But not this time. Nope, this time, I put them in the oven, and set a timer. Then I sat down, and played a song on my computer. Do you see where this is going? About 35 minutes later, I realized I hadn't heard the beep. Aha. These cupcakes ended up baking about 10 minutes too long, but the results weren't disastrous. Here you can see just how my attempts at evenly leveled cupcakes came out. Don't worry, I ate that little sad one right away to put it out of its misery. Once these were cool, I mixed up the glaze, and just dipped the tops of the cupcakes in them, and let them set. Delicious!

Tip of the Day: This recipe calls for cream cheese in the batter, but if you want to keep it non-dairy, Tofutti makes a cream cheese alternative that is really pretty good.

Recipe:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3 ounces of cream cheese
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
7/8 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Beat together the butter, cream cheese, lemon zest and sugar. Beat in the eggs.
Gradually add the flour, baking powder and salt until just combined.
Divide the batter evenly between 12 cupcake cups that have been lined with paper cupcake liners.
Bake at 325F about 25 minutes until firm to the touch.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know what I'd do without the Tofutti.

    These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete