Sunday, April 12, 2009

Chocolate Chip Meringues

Passover baking always results in cakes and cookies that taste like two things: matzah, and ground nuts. And there is only so much of that I can take. So instead, I'll always prefer to make recipes that are naturally flour free the entire year - like flourless chocolate cakes, coconut macaroons and, as we have here, Chocolate Chip Meringues!These simple cookies contain just egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and chocolate chips - so there is no substituting or leaving out ingredients for this week. And they're so easy too. Just whip them up, stick them in the oven, and forget about them.The batter, if you can even call it that, is beautiful and shiny and white, and they puff up to pretty white puffs with a crispy outside and a chewy, sweet inside.I used chocolate chips in these, but you can make them without any additions, or use chopped nuts - just keep it small so they don't weigh it down. I used mini chocolate chips, but if all you have is bigger, you can run your knife through them before you add them.
The recipe for these came from recipezaar, but I used a little less chocolate chips than called for (all I had) and I think that the full amount might be a little too much. I also estimated on the vanilla and the lemon juice, which I think you could even leave out if you don't have.
Either way, these are a delicious, simple, and passover-friendly treat!

Tip of the Day: If you are going to try and adapt your favorite recipe, try using 1/2 cup matzah cake meal and 1/4 to 1/3 cup of potato starch to every cup of flour.

1 comment:

  1. I saw your comment on Joy the Baker's Easter post, and had to come say that I really love the title of your blog! When baking, there's often a lot of mistaking to go along with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete