Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cinnamon Buns

I would be an irresponsible baking blogger if I waited any longer to share this recipe with you. One more day, without you being able to bake these irresistible bites of heaven. Tastier than anything you can buy at a certain chain restaurant, better than what you can find in a blue and white square box, these cinnamon buns are about to me the best thing about your Sunday brunch. 

Once upon a time, I was afraid of yeast. But I conquered my fears, and I am hear to tell you that you can too. And it will be oh. so. worth it.The amazing smell filling up your house, the raving compliments you get from all your friends..and oh yeah, the amazing taste.
Given the finished product, these delicacies are well worth any effort - but truthfully, it isn't much at all. I whipped up these buns for my friend Deena's bridal shower one Sunday brunch, and they were greatly appreciate by all.
I made my yeast dough in advance, and refrigerated it over night since I wouldn't have to rise at any ungodly hour before, you know, 9 a.m. Once the dough is ready, you roll it out, fill it up, roll it up, and slice off your perfect cinnamon buns.
I worked from the legendary Pioneer Woman's recipe, with my own adjustments. Her recipe makes almost 50 cinnamon buns, which I thought sounded like a bit much, even for me. So I scaled it down and made 3 pans, plus a few extra scraps I had to, ahem, officially taste test.
After a quick trip in the oven your cinnamon buns/rolls/swirls will be piping hot, oozing cinnamon sugar goodness...but not quite ready for prime time. That's right, a thick, gooey glaze tops off the whole thing, poured on them while warm to seep in to every little crack.
Granted this isn't exactly a "January" post - and I'm not looking to ruin your New Year's resolutions, (although you realize you're on a baking blog, right?) but if you want to be the most popular person at the next brunch/lunch/dinner/midnight snack you attend, I know just the way to do it.
The one thing to keep in mind, is that - like with all yeast doughs - these are really at their peak in their first 24 hours. And take a quick nose dive after that. Gobble them up fast!

P.S. There's still time to enter my 2-year-bloggiversary giveaway! Click here to check things out - you can win a copy of my favorite baking cookbook! 

Tip of the Day: Making yeast dough in advance works great for time-strapped bakers. You can keep it in the fridge up to 2 days before using, but make sure to place it in an oversized bowl - it will continue to rise, and you don't want it to overflow! If it does, just punch it down and stick it back in. 


Recipe: (adapted from Pioneer Woman)
Makes approximately 25 cinnamon buns
 
Buns:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 package active dry yeast
4 cups and 1/2 cup flour, separated
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt

1/2 stick melted butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
Cinnamon

Glaze:
2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cups milk
2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon



Heat the milk until just lukewarm to warm. Mix with the oil and sugar. Sprinkle in the yeast, and let sit for a minute, until a few bubbles form.
Add in the 4 cups of flour, and mix to combine. (You could also use a bread hook on a stand mixer.)
Cover and let rise for an hour at room temperature.

Add in the remaining 1/2 cup flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt, and mix to combine.
At this point, you can either let the dough rise another hour before making the rolls, or stick the dough in the fridge overnight.

Grease 3 9-inch round pans. Roll the dough out in to a long, thin, rectangle.
Brush the dough with the melted butter until covered.
Sprinkle the sugar evenly on top, then sprinkle the dough generously with ground cinnamon. Roll the dough up in to a long, tight roll. Slice the roll into 3/4"-1" slices and place in to the prepared pans.
Let rise for 20 to 30 minutes. Bake the rolls at 375 F for 15 to 18 minutes until just turning golden brown. 

While the buns are baking, mix together 2 cups of sugar and the remaining ingredients for the glaze. Whisk well until smooth. Add in the remaining 1/2 cup to thicken if necessary.
After the rolls have cooled for 5 minutes, pour the glaze over them, making sure to coat them completely. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Seeing those made my mouth water!! I have a pretty well-stocked kitchen, but I don't have a rolling pin. I think I'm going to have to change that so I can make this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these were so good, you could put cinnibon out of business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan -

    I may or may not have used a Pam bottle as a rolling pin in my college days. You can't prove anything!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much yeast is in 1 package? Like all 3 packets in a Fleishman or 1 individual?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I freeze these?

    ReplyDelete