Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chocolate-Centered Flower Cookies

I didn't set out to recreate one of the most iconic cookies from my childhood - it just happened. When I made cookies for my friend Laura's birthday last month, I thought about the fun dual-colors you can get with cookie-press cookies. Then I chickened out at using two different doughs, and decided to fill the centers up with chocolate instead. Then I realized I had created the classic swiss fudge cookie from Stella D'oro. It was an accident - I swear. 

The thing about making cookies in a cookie press, is you need a certain type of dough. My sugar cookie dough standby wouldn't work - since it would be too stiff to press through the disk of the cookie press. This recipe worked well for making the shapes - but it wasn't the best tasting. If I made it again I would definitely up the sugar a little. 
If you don't have a cookie press, you could try rolling these out and cutting flower shapes, or piping a flower shape from a pastry bag for the look. Or you could hop to the store and pick up a package of swiss fudge cookies - no judgment here!

Tip of the Day: For cookie press cookies to come out right, the dough must be room temperature - so no chilling. If you want to make the dough in advance, refrigerate it, but allow it to come to room temperature before pressing them out.



Recipe:

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 large egg (beat the yolk and white together and add about half)
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Chocolate ganache (see below)

Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the
egg, milk and vanilla and beat until mixed. Add in the flour, baking
powder and salt and mix to combine.
Fill the tube of the cookie press and fit it with a flower-shaped
disk. Press out the cookies, one at a time, on an ungreased baking
sheet. Bake at 350 F for 8 to 9 minutes.
Immediately after they come out of the oven, use the end of a wooden
spoon to press the centers in so they're flat. Let cool completely.
Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of chocolate ganache into each center, and
let them set. (If your kitchen is very warm, you may want to stick
them in the fridge for about 10 minutes to harden up.)

Chocolate Ganache
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or 6 ounces chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup milk or cream

Melt the chocolate and milk together and stir until completely smooth.

4 comments:

  1. What a happy accident. These really look like tasty morsels. I'm new to your blog and spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary - glad you found me! Keep coming back for more.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely try a recipe without there being feedback, but I tried this one anyway. Not sure if it’s baker error or something in the recipe but these cookies were very light and crumbly, not like the Stella D’Oro. They taste ok but it’s hardly a cookie that can stand up to the dollop of fudge on the center. I used a piping bag and the batter sat up nicely, but quickly spread thin in the oven. I will try again, maybe with less than soft softened butter to see if that makes a difference. Disappointed when these didn’t come out. I was making them for my boyfriend who grew up in NY. We don’t have Stella D’Oro in our area of Texas. I also grew up in the north (Chicago) and Miss Stella D’Oro cookies. ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. the stella doro cookies are non dairy.

    ReplyDelete