Wednesday, April 7, 2010

You get an Apple Pie!

Ah, the joys of baking with flour. Well, truth is I'm about to embark on a collection of recipes that I made pre-Passover, pre-tree, pre-stress. Well not really pre-stress. But you get the idea.
I have a handful of desserts that I have yet to share with you, but that's about to change.

Let's get started: everybody gets an apple pie!
Longtime readers may remember that I tried this way back in the dark ages - with canned pie filling and horrible photos. But now I'm at it again - this time with delicious (if I do say so myself) photos and homemade filling. But I start the same way: with store bought mini pie crusts.
They are so adorable, and really not too expensive (they come in a pack of 6) that I simply can't resist. And why should I? (You can also find mini frozen pie dough crusts in most supermarkets.)

I filled each crust with the pie filling, and topping with a crumb crust. I was a little nervous about the crust before, since I've had some bad experiences with apple pies and crumb crusts before.
But my fears were unfounded, and they all came out of the oven crispy and delicious looking. I'm getting hungry as I type.
Well not all of them actually - I ran out of crust for the 12th pie, so I just sprinkled a little brown sugar on top and stuck it in with the rest.
Since it obviously isn't fit for company, I got to eat it right out of the oven. Too bad.

These pies were to bring to my friend Rachel's apartment for a meal. Which ended up being in the back of the cab during Snowpocalypse 2010. I'm sure everyone appreciated the effort.

Tip of the Day: If you're looking for a really quick dessert that still looks like you put in effort - fill each mini pie crust with sliced strawberries and top with whipped cream.

Recipe:
Mini Apple Pies

12 mini graham cracker crusts (mine are Keebler)
1 egg yolk
3 golden delicious apples, cored and diced
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Lay the crusts out on a baking sheet. Beat the egg, and brush the crusts with it.
Bake at 375 F for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Stir together the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice.
Let sit 20 minutes in the fridge. (Can skip this step)
Divide apples evenly among crusts.
Beat together the butter, flour, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon, until crumbly.
Add in more flour if needed. Crumble over apples.
Bake at 375 F for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.

5 comments:

  1. what amy's not telling u is that we allllll thought they were delicious! one guest even tried to convince her to tell them... amy's apply pies is a cute name for a chain isn't it?
    oops i just gave away my identity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you really brush the crusts with egg yolks, not egg whites?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you bake all 12 at once?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have homemade apple pie filling can i use that or does it need to be fresh apples

    ReplyDelete