Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons

I'm baaaaaaaackkkkkkk. 

Hole in my house withstanding, I am in the kitchen, matzah flying, with Passover treats finally coming out of the oven. 

As I mentioned last week, I am a lover of the canned, dense Manischewitz macaroons. But I knew I could do better. And I did. 

These macaroons start with my favorite scent - toasted coconut. Seriously, this stuff makes the whole kitchen smell amazing. I would make it for this purpose alone. 

Anyway the whole recipe is insanely easy - just the egg whites and sugar and coconut - plus the chocolate chips if you want - they're not mandatory. Or you could sub in chopped nuts, dried fruit, whatever you desire. 

You just beat up the egg whites and sugar, dump the coconut on top and mix it in. 

These are crispy on the outside, but still moist on the inside and every coconut lover's dream. 

Tip of the Day: If you need sweetened coconut and can only find unsweetened - do not despair. Up the sugar content of the recipe as needed - estimate 1/2 cup for every 12 ounces coconut. 

Recipe: 

Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons (adapted from Joy the Baker)

12 ounces coconut (mine was dessicated - you can ground shredded or leave it as is)

4 egg whites

pinch of salt

1/2 to 1 cup sugar

1 cup chocolate chips

Note: If you're using sweetened coconut - keep the sugar at 1/2 cup, if not, up it as you desire, I used about 1 cup total. 

Spread the coconut out on a rimmed baking sheet, and toast on 350 F, checking every five minutes, until most of the coconut in browned. Let cool. 

Beat the egg whites and salt until they begin to stiffen. Gradually add in the sugar, until egg whites are stiff and shiny. Fold in the coconut and chocolate chips. 

Drop by tablespoonful (I formed mine in the bowl of a tbsp measurement) on to parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake on 350 F for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.

Makes about 50 cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment