Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chocolate Filled Cupcakes

I like chocolate. A lot of people like chocolate. I also like vanilla. I'm guessing a lot of people like vanilla too.So when I made cupcakes to bring to the office a few weeks ago, I frosted them half in chocolate, and half in vanilla.
And every single chocolate cupcake was gone before even one vanilla was taken. Of course soon after that, every single vanilla cupcake was gone too. Hmmmm.

Anyway these were filled cupcakes - which really means that I dropped a few chocolate chips in to the middle of each one before I baked them.
If I'd mixed the chocolate chips in to the batter, these would be chocolate chip cupcakes, but because they're only in the middle, they're chocolate filled? Right? Work with me here.
Ah look, hidden filling! Of course anything would be hidden by the time I frosted them.

Frosting, which, by the way, came from a can. Oops. Back to school means back to more storebought for me. But it'll be our little secret, OK?

Well once I was done I just had to eat a chocolate one. I know, those vanillas are getting jealous.
You can't tell though, right?

Recipe:
1 1/3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup milk
2 tsps vanilla
1 egg
chocolate chips
frosting

Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Beat in the shortening, milk, vanilla and egg until well mixed.
Divided the batter among 12, paper-lined muffin cups.
Drop five or six chocolate chips in to the center of each cupcake.
Bake on 350 F for 20 minutes.
Cool in the pan for 2 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Frost.

5 comments:

  1. How did you make the frosting look so nice? my frosting is always just blobbed on top

    ReplyDelete
  2. amy, next time you need someone to even out the chocolate/vanilla ratio, feel free to call me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To make your frosting look decorative, you just use a tip and bag (a little more effort) but this frosting can I used came with a tip attached! (Oh now all my secrets are public.)

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip on making the frosting look so pretty. One good tip deserves another, so I'll share my newest secret -- Baker's Secret Supreme Frosting. Yep, frosting in a box that tastes like homemade, but quicker and easier. Definitely tastier than frosting in a can (and I admit to using the canned stuff too!) If you live in Texas, you can get it at HEB stores.

    ReplyDelete