Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

The word "bread" in this recipe is clearly used quite loosely. To me, bread has yeast, not much sugar and is toasted for breakfast.This recipe resembles bread in that...it's baked in a loaf pan. And cut into slices. If calling it bread makes you feel better about eating it for breakfast - then be my guest.
It's also ridiculously easy and totally delicious. It just contains these ingredients!
Directly after I took this photograph, I moved the oil, and the egg rolled away from me in slow motion and crashed in a dramatic splat on the wooden floor of my living room. (No I wasn't baking in the living room - but tiny Manhattan apartments often mean they're just an...egg's roll away!)
Luckily, I was trained well by my mother (after having made such messes in the past), and quickly grabbed the salt, dumping it on top of the slowly spreading disaster. The salt, for scientific reasons unbeknown to me, makes the raw egg clump up and stop spreading slowly around your floor - making it easier to pick up and dispose.
On to the cake (with a brand new egg) - came together in one bowl, in ten minutes, and was really great.
Just beware of rolling eggs.

Tip of the Day: As if you weren't convinced - in case of an egg crack disaster, sprinkle the white and yolk with a generous amount of salt, and wipe up with a cloth. Make sure to wash the floor and your hands afterwards.

Recipe: (from Bake or Break)

1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup oil

1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Stir together the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
Make a well in the center, and add in the egg, milk and oil.
Stir until just mixed.
In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
Pour half the batter in to a greased, 9"x5"x3" loaf pan.
Sprinkle with half the sugar and cinnamon mix.
Pour remaining batter on top, and top with remaining sugar mix.
With a spatula, swirl the batter and topping in an up and down motion.
Bake on 350 F for 40 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan ten minutes, then invert.

2 comments:

  1. How CRAZY! The day after I read this, I made pumkin bread for my brother in Iraq, and I dropped an egg on my kitchen floor! I had never heard of the salt trick (until reading your blog), and it was SO much easier to clean up - not that I have to clean up eggs off the floor all the time or anything... :)

    Thank you so much for the tip! I love your blog! :)
    -Joanna from Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right - it's yummy.
    But next time I'll put more of the topping in the middle and less on top - there was too much sugar on top.
    But then - I never follow instructions properly.
    We must be must be related

    ReplyDelete