Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Revisiting Shortbread Bars

Those of you who have been around a while (hey mom!) might remember this recipe. It was delicious and rich and satisfying. And I swore I would never make it again.
Without a food processor that is. Hi again!
That's because the secret behind this recipe is to freeze the dough and then grate it into the pan before baking. It makes it light and fluffy and oh-so yummy. But at my first attempt, there was no lovely food processor present, and, well, it was messy and exhausting.

But I tried again! And this time, since I know my raspberry addiction isn't necessarily contagious...with blackberry!

Look at all the little dough pieces. And the lack of effort. The combination is exhilarating.
The results were good. And much easier. This is really a pretty simple recipe (not too many ingredients) but it does call for some thinking ahead with the dough freezing.

Mmm that's alot of butter. I feel like Paula Deen. More butter y'all.
The only secret here was to make sure to freeze the pieces in sizes that will fit inside the tube of your food processor. Though the original recipe (here) calls for you to freeze it in two pieces - half for the top of the bars and half for the bottom - I did it in four instead.
Overall these are a great bar and I'd recommend them to anyone - anyone with a food processor that is.

Side note: this recipe calls for four egg yolks, which leaves me with, of course, four egg whites.
Hmmmmm what to do, what to do? Stay tuned to find out!

Recipe: (from Recipezaar)

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup blackberry or raspberry jam

Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add in egg yolks and beat until well mixed.
Pour in the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
Turn the dough out onto a surface and form into two balls.
Wrap in saran wrap and freeze for two hours or overnight.
(Here is where you would make sure your pieces are food-processor sized).
Grate one of the balls and lightly press into a greased 8 inch square pan.
Spread the jam on top until 1/2 inch from side.
Top with remaining grated dough.
Bake on 350 F for 30 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown.
Cool in pan.

3 comments:

  1. i have a problem with this post:

    "Those of you who have been around a while (hey mom!)"...

    WHAT ABOUT ME?! I HAVE BEEN READING THIS BLOG SINCE THE FIRST RECIPE!

    hi amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shortcut bar is my favourate and really its a yummy.If you are looking to buy an online cryptocurrency dissertation topics at a cheap rate turnout to dissertation writing help company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog! I have go through all the content of this blog.This is really helpful and informative for me and all the readers.If any one wants mens trousers sale at a cheap rate.You can easily make a call.I will give you the better feedback and response.

    ReplyDelete