Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Chocolate Chip Streusel Muffins

While I certainly need to bypass my reluctance to break out the stand mixer since I moved, I still enjoy making muffins and other one bowl, no mixer desserts. Like these Toll House Streusel Muffins.After the previous chocolate chip muffins I made, I was searching for something else, and found this recipe online that adds a nice crunchy streusel topping. I left out the nuts, because I'm not really a fan, and the muffins were still good.Everyone at work said they were great because they had such a high density of chocolate chips. So if you'd rather a little less, use 2/3 or 3/4 of the bag.
I always use Trader Joe's semi-sweet chocolate chips in my recipes - they're really big and very good!
There they are!

Tip of the Day: While its not usually a good idea to change the amounts of key ingredients like flour or eggs in your recipes - add ins are a place to be creative. Nuts, chocolate chips, raisins, dried blueberries, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips - I'm sure you could name ten more - can be substituted in recipes like this. Find a mix that works!

Recipe: (from Toll House)
Muffins:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
12 ounces (2 cups) chocolate chips

Streusel:
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp butter or margarine, melted

Stir together flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Mix in butter, milk and egg until just combined.
Stir in chocolate chips, and divide batter among 12 lined muffin cups.

Combine brown sugar, flour and butter in a small bowl.
Sprinkle over muffin batter, press down lightly.
Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes.

1 comment: