Saturday, May 9, 2009

A New Beginning (and chocolate chip cookies)

Today I baked my first thing in my brand new (to me) kitchen. What better way to begin than with chocolate chip cookies?Now, everyone seems to have their very own favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, and I'm no exception. But my recipe produces crisp, crunchy cookies, and I figured I would try to make soft, chewy ones this time. So I found this recipe on recipezaar, and thought I'd give it a try. I was not disappointed.
Nor was I disappointed with my new found counter space. Enough to actually line up my ingredients before I start? And not have to remove them from the cupboard one by one and then replace them? Simply amazing. (Yes, I know I'm missing a couple ingredients.) Speaking of things I'm missing, I have yet to get a microwave. Now, I know, people have lived for centuries without microwaves (and some continue to today), but I really need one. For things like melting butter.
Now, granted, for this next step, I could have brought out a pot and melted it on the stove, but, well, pots weren't on my agenda for the day, so instead I placed a stick of butter in a foil container and stuck it in the oven until it melted. It got the job done. Now, while I certainly still have my stand mixer, it, umm, happens to still be inside this here box. Underneath - if I remember correctly - a rolling pin, two ice cube trays, and an assortment of tupperware containers. So it remains in this box for now. And instead I whipped out the trusty bowl and spoon. For a recipe like this that uses melted butter, this is a pretty easy task. I made these cookies quite big, and even though I was only supposed to put 9 on a baking sheet, I decided to live on the edge of danger and do 12. Sure, they spread into each other a little bit, but hey, they still looked and tasted good.
And this baking sheet just, just fit inside my oven. Phew. It was a close one.
Over all, I would definitely say that this will be my go to recipe for chewy chocolate chip cookies - they were sweet, chewy, gooey and delicious. And very easy as well.
Anyway, I still have some recipes to share with you pre-move, but I felt that this new kitchen quest should come first.

Tip of the Day: If you know your oven doesn't heat up evenly from front to back, don't be afraid to rotate your cakes or cookies mid-way through baking to brown evenly - but work quickly!

Recipe: (from Recipezaar)

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tsps vanilla
2 cups flour plus 2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Mix butter and sugars until well blended.
Add in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat until well mixed.
Gradually add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until incorporated.
Stir in chocolate chips.

Form into 18 even balls, and place on to parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Bake at 325 for 14 to 18 minutes. Cool on baking sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment