Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cinnamon "Flop" Cake

I was browsing the recipezaar website, as I'm known to do, looking for a cake recipe to take to a gathering of friends on Saturday, when I came across this Cinnamon "Flop" Cake. I'd never heard of a flop cake before, but this recipe looks simple and interesting. So I figured I'd give it a shot.It smelled so amazing while it was baking that I just couldn't stop myself from taking a peek.

What this cake is, is a basic batter, made with flour, sugar, milk, vanilla, baking powder and one egg (no fat).Then you sprinkle it with a brown sugar and cinnamon mix.
Next, you drizzle melted butter over the whole thing, which then sinks into the cake and mixes with the cinnamon sugar, spreading it throughout the cake.So I made this cake on Friday afternoon, and brought it over to my friend Naomi's house on Saturday afternoon. We all dug in, and enjoyed the cinnamon taste that had dispersed throughout the cake, and scraped off the cinammony mix that had sunk to the bottom of the pan.

But then, I returned to Naomi's house on Sunday night, and about half the cake still remained. This time, the cake was moister and even better, as the butter mixture had spread and saturated the rest of the cake.

Moral of the story: definitely make this cake - it takes about ten minutes and it's delicious. But make it a couple days in advance at least!

Tip of the Day: While nothing beats fresh, freezing cake can be a valuable tool if you have a lot or need to prepare in advance. But you're better off freezing unfilled and unfrosted cakes, and then assembling and decorating once they're thawed. But thaw on the counter or in the fridge, never in an oven or microwave.

Recipe: (from recipezaar)
Cake:
2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tsps baking powder
a pinch salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg

Topping:
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, melted

Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix in the milk and vanilla and egg.
Pour batter into a greased 9x13" pan or two 9-inch round or 8-inch square pans.
Spread the brown sugar and cinnamon on top.
Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the cake.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I found your recipe. I've tried a similar recipe twice now and while it's still edible I don't think it's quite the way it's supposed to be. First time I missed the butter on top with the cinnamon, and the second time I did get the butter on top with the cinnamon but I wound up with too much "goo" at the bottom of the pan (that is carmelizing too hard as it cools). At any rate, I realize now that the recipe I've used called for too small of a pan (it said only one 8 x 8) and a cooking time of only 20 minutes. I'm sure that if I try the recipe again in a 9x13 pan, it will turn out MUCH better. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete