Monday, March 16, 2009

Rich, chocolatey and gooey

Reading this blog would make you think I'm a chocolate (and raspberry) freak. I'm not. But everyone likes a good chocolate cake.
In truth, it was my friend Ariel who selected this Chocolate Truffle Cake from the Good Housekeeping Great Baking book. But I happily went along with it. A short list of ingredients, and no assembly meant I agreed to her request. It was simple enough to make, with one minor flub. The cake said it should bake in a 9 inch springform pan, which of course I didn't have. So I figured I'd just bake it in a 9 inch foil pan, and I didn't really mind if we had to eat it out of the pan, we were being fairly low key.
Anyway, I finished the batter, and went to pour it in the pan...and kept pouring. Needless to say I realized not a moment too soon that all the batter was not going to fit in the pan, and I quickly stopped just before it was about to overflow. I was then left with a 9 inch pan filled to a point where I wasn't sure I could move it into the oven without spilling, and about 2 cups left of batter. I had to make a quick decision, so of course I made Chocolate Truffle cupcakes! The cake was for Saturday lunch but the cupcakes were gone Thursday night, after all, I only got 6 made.
The cake was quite good, but it was very rich and very thick. It's a flourless cake, which means you could make it on Passover, but when I took my first bite I thought it tasted like baked chocolate mousse. And when you read the ingredients, it basically is baked chocolate mousse. It didn't really cut very well but we didn't mind too much - I would worry more if you were serving it to guests or at a fancy meal.

Tip of the Day: If you're worried about a cake coming out of a pan, you can line the pan with foil, spray with Pam, and simply peel the foil off the finished cake.

Recipe:
Chocolate Truffle Cake:
14 ounces semisweet chocolate
2 ounces unsweeted chocolate
1 cup butter
9 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Melt semisweet and unsweetened chocolates and butter over low heat.
In separate bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
Add egg mixture and chocolate mixture together, stirring until well blended.
In another bowl, with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture, 1/3 at a time.
Bake in 9 inch springform pan - with the bottom lined with foil and the whole thing greased - for 35 minutes on 300 F. Cool in pan on wire rack, then refridgerate overnight in pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment