Friday, March 6, 2009

Big, chewy and delicious!

Hello friends, I'm back. I know I haven't blogged in a while, but unfortunately, when things get crazy, blogging takes a backseat on my priority list. But not in my heart. Sigh.
Well, here we go: big, chewy chocolate chip cookies, fresh from the oven.
These were a recipe I found in The Golden Book of Chocolate (recipe below). Of course, they looked good, and I already had all the ingredients!
Well, I made these last week, on a very busy night, and...I got a little impatient towards the end.
See, I'm working in a very small kitchen here, with a very small oven, where I could only really cook 6 of these babies at a time. And I had to cool them on the baking sheet, meaning even longer in between batches. (Yes, I could buy a second baking sheet, but I'm cheap). So anyway, after 3 batches of cookies, I was getting pretty frustrated, running short on time and patience, and wanted to just finish up. I couldn't even start washing up because the batter was still in the bowl.
Well, thats when I came up with my bright idea. I looked at the remaining batter, and back at the baking sheet....and decided I would make...six. giant. cookies.
These were enormous, and of course required almost double the cooking time, but I could then relax, sit and finish. Impatience is a virtue my friends.
Check out the first and last batch of cookies side by side above.

Tip of the Day: Real vanilla extract has a much better taste than the fake stuff, so invest wisely in the real stuff - your taste buds will approve. (from Miryam S.)

Recipe:
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies:
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2.5 cups rolled oats
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
(1 cup walnuts - I left these out)

Beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well.
Beat in the vanilla, flour, baking powder, baking soda and oats.
Stir in chocolate chips (and nuts).
Shape dough into golf ball sized cookies and place 3 inches apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for about 10 minutes on 350 F.
Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes then transfer to wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment