Friday, June 7, 2013

Five-ingredient peanut butter and chocolate cookies

Sometimes I come across a recipe so simple and so easy that I can't understand why I haven't made it before. This is the case with these cookies. Five ingredients, naturally gluten free, no special techniques or tools needed, and totally delicious and cute looking. What was I waiting for?

I first made these for my cousin and her daughter, who can't eat any gluten at all. But when all my cousins' children wanted one for each hand, I knew I had a hit on my hands, regardless of their flour-free status. In fact, with just peanut butter, sugar, egg a touch of salt and some chocolate chips for the chocolately middles, these are one of the simplest, but most popular creations I've made.

 To make these look as adorable as they do is a fairly simple process: Roll tablespoons of the dough into balls, then bake briefly. When they're still hot, impress an indentation into them with the bowl of a tablespoon measuring spoon, then drop 3-4 chocolate chips in each impression. Wait 4-5 minutes for the chocolate to melt, then use a toothpick to swirl the chocolate into a smoother surface. Wait to cool to room temperature, then try to eat just one! Of course, if you just prefer these without the chocolate, they're some very tasty gluten-free peanut butter cookies.

Recipe: Makes about 30 cookies
1 cup peanut butter (I use creamy, but I think chunky would work just fine)
1 scant cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
About 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Beat together the peanut butter, sugar, egg and salt and smooth. Chill the dough in the fridge for about 20 minute so it's easier to handle.
Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, at least an inch apart.
Bake on 350 F for 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately after they come out the oven make indentations in the center of each cookie and drop 3 or 4 chocolate chips in the center. Wait 5 minutes for the chocolate to melt (if you don't get them in there fast enough after taking the cookies out of the oven, you can stick the tray back in the oven for a minute to help the melting) and use a toothpick to swirl it to make a smooth surface. Cool to room temperature (or stick in the fridge to help the chocolate set if your kitchen is very warm like mine).

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Eve - It just means not quite a full cup - you can have a heaping cup or a scant cup. - Amy

      Delete
  2. Oh sounds so yummy!!! Wonder how it would turn out if put the chocolate in the middle then bake it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi phoenix - I think the chocolate might burn a bit if you did it that way, but if you try it out let me know!

      Delete
  3. I love it when a simple recipe turns out so well! The cookies look irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will always be interesting to read content from
    other writers and practice something from their sites. 강남안마

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking for another article by chance and found your article오공슬롯 I am writing on this topic, so I think it will help a lot. I leave my blog address below. Please visit once.


    ReplyDelete