Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lemon Ice Cream

I was all set to tell you about this completely addicting ice cream last summer, but some way or another, time escaped me, and I had to tell you about this incredible pie and that amazing cobbler. But it's all worked out in the end, because this recipe is perfect for Passover, and will get you so hooked you will make it all year round. I promise. This ice cream is actually a permanent member of my freezer. And it doesn't even need an ice cream maker!

I don't have much else to say about this - except make it ASAP. Fresh lemon juice is always nice, but making it with the bottled stuff will be delicious as well. It's good to make this in a glass bowl, so you can make sure that all the egg whites are folded in to the mixture.


Tip of the Day: Eggs are easiest to separate when they're cold, but will whip up to a greater volume when room temperature. So if you can, separate them right out of the fridge, and give them about 15 minutes to warm up a touch.


Recipe: 

6 eggs, separated*
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream or non-dairy whip
1/2 cup lemon juice


Beat the egg whites and 1/2 cup sugar together until peaks are formed.
Beat the egg yolks, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cream and lemon juice together until thickened, about the texture of whipped cream.
Gently fold the egg whites in to the cream mixture until completely incorporated. Pour into a plastic container, cover and freeze until firm. 

*Yes, yes, raw eggs, I know. If you don't want to eat them, by all means, don't make this recipe!

5 comments:

  1. I love ice-cream maker-less recipes. Lemon ice cream sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an ice-cream maker, but I have no idea how to use it. Love these no-need for ice cream makers recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I've always thought about buying an ice cream maker...but with recipes like this I can't think why!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,

    I just came across your blog via a link from another blog and I am completely floored by your posts. You really made me laugh. You're so cute and witty and being someone in the running myself for 'The Bumbling Baker Awards' I empathise completely with the spirit of your blog. Besides, that is a great blog name and I wish I could have thought of it myself :)

    I had to laugh out loud when I read your post about smashing your candy thermometer mid-whip. That would certainly be something I would do hence the fact that I have only had the courage to make simple American non-cook buttercream since my Martha Stewart 7-Minute Whipped Frosting disaster.

    I really admire people who can whip up an Italian or Swiss Meringue frosting. It looks so easy when it's made by someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bubble and Squeak -

    Welcome to my blog! Thanks for your kind words. Good luck with your own baking!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete