Thursday, April 14, 2011

Coconut Lace Cookies

These are really way more candy then they are cookie. But I'll call them a cookie anyway, since they're cookie-shaped. These lace cookies are oat and flour-free, which makes them perfect for Passover and those who eat a gluten-free diet. 

These really are "lace" cookies - you can see right through them. They spread out completely flat and make up a complex web of coconut strands encased in sugar. It is light and crispy and unlike most cookies you've ever eaten.
The original recipe called for chocolate to be drizzled on top. I think that or even sandwiching the cookies together with chocolate would be a nice touch, though I chose to leave mine plain. As I note below in the recipe, it is crucial to leave these enough room to spread on the baking sheet; you don't want one giant cookie (though maybe you do?) so resist the urge to crowd. 

I have a few more desserts and dishes I'm still hoping to make for Passover; I can't guarantee any postings because the next few days will be pretty hectic, plus Tuesday and Wednesday I'll be offline for the holiday, but there should be more gluten-free deliciousness to come next week!


Tip of the Day: Potato starch and corn starch can be used fairly interchangeably for baking, but when it comes to using them to thicken sauces or soups, you will need less potato starch than you would normally use corn.

Recipe: (adapted from Giada de Laurentis)
3/4 cup sweetened, flaked coconut  
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3 tablespoons potato or corn starch
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt


Spread the coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and toast at 350 F for 5 to 6 minutes until just lightly toasted.
Stir together the sugar, butter, potato starch, vanilla and salt until smooth.
Dump in the coconut and stir until coated in the mixture.
Drop the batter by rounded teaspoonfuls on to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Do not place more than 6 cookies on a sheet at a time - they need alot of room to spread.
Bake on 375 F for 8 to 10 minutes until completely flat.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Amy! Beautiful cookies--they look so delicate! I enjoy your blog and am so glad I found it! I've given you a blogger award (your choice!) that you can pick up here:
    http://dulcedough.blogspot.com/2011/04/peanut-butter-cookies-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed the recipe exactly but in order to get them to spread I had to add some corn syrup. After that they turned out just beautiful. Are you missing an ingredient?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this amount of butter is not enough liquid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was ready to choose this cookie for an annual cookie party. So glad that people responded with "problems" to the receipe, but they didn't give us the remedy so I will find something else. Looks delicious though!

      Delete
    2. Good thing, it was awful.... Did not spread, followed as exactly as written. Burnt on bottom. Second Giada recipe I tried and both we so bad.

      Delete
  4. I made these and they were good. They spread a lot. Will do 1/2 teaspoon next time. I drizzeled melted chocolate on mine! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is our recipe that has been in our family for 2 centuries! Our Mom made lard cans full of these cookies and were loved by all.
    Lace Cookies
    1 C Sifted Flour
    1 C flaked coconut
    1/2 C Brown sugar
    1/2 C Corn Syrup
    1/2 C butter
    1 tsp Vanilla
    Mix coconut with flour. Mix sugar, syrup and butter together well. Blend in flour mix. Add in vanilla. Drop by 1/2 tsp on parchment paper or silpat. 350 Degrees F for 8 - 10 minutes. Yields A LOT of cookies.
    Roxie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe looks like the one my family used for yrs. I lost the recipe so thanks so much for posting this !!!

      Delete
  6. Double the butter and you're perfect

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a waste of time and money. Whoever posted this recipe should try it out exactly as posted and then fix whatever's wrong. I sure wish I had read the comments before wasting part of my social security check on the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... aluminum baking pans

    ReplyDelete
  9. Select a pan as close in size as possible to the pan in your recipe. baking sheet

    ReplyDelete