Thursday, February 24, 2011

Swiss Cinnamon Crisps

This is my 232nd post. Why is that significant? It's not really, except that I made a batch of these cookies a few weeks ago and brought them to some friends, who happen to live at number 232. And they asked me to post the recipe for these cookies as post #232. Because of the cosmic synergy, I assume. So I said yes. 

 
If I was being fair to the universe though,  I really wouldn't have waited that long to share these. Deceptively simple, these cookies are packed with the flavor of the cinnamon, lemon zest and brown sugar.One of my friends said they tasted like Teddy Grahams. Upon further pressing, I determined that was in fact a compliment.
You could use any sort of cookie cutters on these, but I went with simply slicing them up into squares/rectangles/what is that shape over there? - all completely uneven of course. 
I have since acquired a fluted pastry wheel which makes me all kinds of excited. Especially at the prospect of all the time I could save not using cookie cutters in the future. Also at what this will mean for the lattice crusts of my summer pies. Summer? What is summer again?

Tip of the Day: They seem pretty similar, but wax paper and parchment paper are worlds apart. Here is the important distinction: wax paper cannot go in the oven! Bad things happen. I only really keep parchment paper on hand in the kitchen. 

Recipe: (via seriouseats.com) - Makes a lot of cookies. But you'll eat them all.

1 cup (2 sticks, 16 tablespoons) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon 

Beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla and zest and beat to combine. 
Add the flour, salt and cinnamon and mix until incorporated. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. 
Roll the dough out on a well-floured surface to about 1/4" thick. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters or cut in to squares with a pastry wheel/pizza cutter. Place the cookies on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. 
Beat the egg and milk together with a fork or whisk. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Use a pastry brush to coat the cookies in the egg mixture, then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top. 
Bake at 350 F for 10 to 12 minutes.

35 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Can we make them Gluten Free?
      I have Celiac Disease. If so what Flour & ratio

      Delete
  2. I've made a similar cookie for years with pastry dough; always leftover pastry dough so we call them pie dough cookies. I've never thought of actually making a real cookie that mimics those results, but will now...these look simple and simply wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too ... but l will try this also..

      Delete
    2. My mom taught us,years ago,to use the dough scraps to make rolled cookies.

      Delete
  3. these look so delicious! And i know that I wouold eat every last one of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many does this batch make? They look great for a cookie-exchange, but need to bring 6 dozen. Will this need to be doubled or tripled, or ...? Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made them today 9/8/15 they taste great and they are really light and crispy but you will need to add more flour then what recipe said other that they are great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much more flour did you add?

      Delete
  6. I obviously did something wrong to these....it become crumbles, but not those kind of crumbles you could actually roll out. So I'm just improvizing. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem--I added a tiny bit of cold water, and they finally came together.

      Delete
  7. Not too much cinnamon?
    2 tablespoons.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you mean the coarse Kosher salt or just regular table salt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made these, the taste was wonderful, but the texture was very hard, baked them exactly 10 min. And they where a bit crumbled to roll🙄

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do these taste like elephant ears from a carnival?....which to me are works different than funnel cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made these yesterday. Very good. First batch the dough was too warm. Came out hard. So put rest of cut-outs on cookie sheet, placed in refrigerator for 15 minutes, then baked. Much softer, better looking cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blog quote of the month =D "Here is the important distinction: wax paper cannot go in the oven! Bad things happen." LOL
    These sound like just the thing to have on hand for those days when the tummy cannot do "real food" like today.
    Or any day, cause I love cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't made these yet, from the comments, should there be high altitude adjustments??

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried these today, hoping for a crisp cookie. I had to add a little water to get the dough to come together, as well. These came out chewy, not crispy. will try again, though, and roll a thinner dough. They do have a good taste, just not very crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the recipe! I was looking for something similar to these in the store that I had purchased before but couldn't find. Now with this recipe I can make my own. Yummy, cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You will probably need to invest about USD 300 to 500 to purchase the above basic baking equipment and accessories. baked comfort foods

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so good! I'm going to try making them for the holidays, I'll call them 232 cinnamon cookies! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. The spinning stove is additionally a sort utilized in cake preparing that offers adaptability. This broiler has a rotating skillet that guarantees that each side of the bread or cake has been heated appropriately. Kitchen Gadgets UK

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its great to know about this blog, Appreciate your efforts with such a valuable information provided. Could you help me to find out details about Web Design Company in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey it's really good article.. as I am beginner, it helps me a lot to build a basic crud functionality. Thank you..Energy Saving Sensors in New Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thank you for the information and articles you provided

    ReplyDelete
  22. You may miss the relaxation time spent in feeding and smoking BBQs till you arrive at the suitable smoke and warmth levels. Barbecue ribs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Definitely, what a fantastic website and revealing posts, I definitely will bookmark your site.Have an awsome day!

    Click here to chceck my blog :: 부산달리기

    ReplyDelete
  24. Definitely, what a fantastic website and revealing posts, I definitely will bookmark your site.Have an awsome day!

    Click here to chceck my blog :: 대구오피

    ReplyDelete
  25. I cook spaghetti squash in the crock pot. I just poke it a few times with a fork, put in in a large crock pot (mine is oval shaped) and let it go all day on low. Very easy!
    Jayme Silvestri

    ReplyDelete
  26. Made these yesterday. Very good. First batch the dough was too warm. Came out hard. So put rest of cut-outs on cookie sheet, placed in refrigerator for 15 minutes, then baked. Much softer, better looking cookie hardwood refinishing portland

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looking at this article, I miss the time when I didn't wear a mask. 바카라사이트 Hopefully this corona will end soon. bed bugs

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great cookies mines are crispy I fill them with dulce de leche and make a kind of sandwiches. I love the flavor thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete