Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Double Apple Bundt Drop

I drop things. I break things. I forget things. I lose things. Sometimes I break things and then lose them. I'm looking at you, one earring.
Anyway, it was just one of those days, and I made a cake. And it smelled delicious. And I was pretty sure it was going to taste delicious. And then I dropped it.

Drop might be a strong word. Let me walk you through this. My bundt cake had cooled about ten minutes in the pan. i thought it was time to remove it. So I placed the cooling rack on top of the cake, and then picked it up to flip over. As I picked it up, it slid across the rack, so that when it was finally flipped, it slipped out half on the rack and half off, thereby breaking in half.

I'll have you know this is not the first time I've dropped a cake. But all this talk is ignoring the fact that this cake was totally and completely delicious. With grated apples, apple butter and a host of comforting flavors, this double apple bundt cake is moist, sweet - a touch on the dense side - and above all: yummy.
If you're like me, apple butter is not an ingredient you keep around the house or have ever heard of (its generally with other jams in the supermarket) - but it keeps forever and I've been using it in other things I'll be sharing with you soon!

Tip of the Day: Many recipes in bundt pans will specify cooling and unmolding information - if they don't, a good rule of thumb is to let a cake cool 10 to 15 minutes in the pan, so it can finish baking and set up, but not crystallize onto the side of the pan.

Recipe: (from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours)

10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup apple butter
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and grated
1/2 cup plump, moist raisins

Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time until combined. Mix in the apple butter.
Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Mix until just combined. Gently stir in the raisins.
Pour the batter into a greased bundt pan and bake at 350 F for 50 to 55 minutes.
Let cool 10 to 15 minutes in pan and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.

6 comments:

  1. Uh oh! I've done my share of mistaking in the kitchen. The finished "mistake" just gives the recipe more character. LOL That cake looks awesome and I'll definitely be giving it a try - maybe this weekend? If I do, do you mind if I post it on my blog, too (with credit/link to your blog, of course)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan -

    Of course! I love it when people are inspired!

    Hope it goes well for you - and you don't drop it. :)

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what do you substitute if you really really don't ever see apple butter?
    Add more apples? apple puree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well apple butter is basically cooked down and more concentrated apple sauce. You can always make your own - http://www.food.com/recipe/apple-butter-11492 (this recipe makes way more than you'll need) and if you're really opposed to that, you can substitute apple sauce or apple puree, but it wouldn't be exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super Easy! My boyfriend loved it! Will definitely make again and again! Thank you! Access the Dark Web Deep Web stories Deep Web Reddit Links Deep Web Browsers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cleaning companies in Jazan
    While there are many other sofa cleaning companies in Jizan, we take a very distinctive approach that has made us our customers' first and permanent choice for sofa cleaning services or even other bedding cleaning.شركة النجوم لخدمات التنظيف
    شركة نقل عفش بمكة
    شركة نقل اثاث بمكة
    شركة عزل خزانات بمكة

    ReplyDelete