Friday, October 8, 2010

Cop Out Cake

I'm not good at decorating cakes. Cookies, I seem to have figured out, but cakes still elude me. Unless they include copious amounts of fondant that is. But since I generally value taste over aesthetic, I opted out. I seem to even be better at shaped cakes, but a frosted-covered canvas is what scares me the most.

But, I think I've discovered something that even I can master, so I'm sharing it with you today.
Tada! Isn't it pretty? I promise you can actually do this, I'll teach you how. And maybe it will distract people from the uneven frosting on the rest of the cake.

Once your cake is completely frosted, melt some chocolate of the opposite color. I melted mine right in a ziploc bag in the microwave. Snip off the tip of the bag, or use a fancy schmancy piping bag and tip, and pipe concentric rings on your cake. I had four.
Then, take a toothpick, and starting in the center, pull through the chocolate to the edge of the cake. Then, moving around the cake evenly, continue to run the toothpick through the chocolate until the circle is completed. You can always run the toothpick one way - i.e. from the center to the outside, or you can alternate your direction.

Try it!

3 comments:

  1. Hia! Your website name has won me over!!! It speaks to me in volumes as I am a walking baking disaster. Was drooling over Smitten Kitchen's Peach cupcakes when I saw your post. Just had to come check you out. All I can say is the spider web frosted cake looks impressive esp. to a persistent baker & mistaker like me. There is just no way anyone bakes cakes worse than me; I've wholly accepted that fact, so I drool over others creations. Will roaming around here for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dewunderrock (you'll have to tell me the story behind that at some point),

    Welcome! You'll see I do healthy amounts of baking and mistaking, so you should feel right at home.

    Thanks,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great decorating idea and so easy now that you have shared the tip!

    ReplyDelete