Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Peach Pie

It's summer time and the weather is fine. Which means the fruit is beyond fine, and nothing showcases fruit better than a fabulous pie. With a lattice top no less. And you can do it too!

While it's never been more obvious than in the above photo that my oven bakes unevenly, this pie was sweet and delicious, and truly simple. OK, the lattice top requires a little bit of sweating and finger-crossing, but once you get the hang of it, it's really a snap. It was also perfect for my new favorite ingredient - turbinado sugar. Also known as muscovado or demerara sugarn (though there are differences between them), and often sold under the brand name Sugar in the Raw, it's a less refined sugar with larger crystals that's perfect for topping pies and other desserts.
I've used other pie dough recipes before, and never quite been ecstatic, but I think I've hit the jackpot here. There's a touch of sugar in the dough, which is something I feel other recipes are missing. It's also all butter (or margarine in my case), none of that shortening that other people swear by, but I've never found too appealing.
I was incredibly paranoid that the filling would be a liquid, messy puddle when cut into, so I added in some steps of letting the peaches sit with the sugar mixture to draw out their juices. I also searched for the firmest peaches I could find.
And my worries were unfounded! Or I adequately covered for them, because each slice was neat and clean and totally delicious, making me hunger for more gorgeous looking pies. The summer is still young! I could still use some practice with my pie rolling and styling - the dough was a little thick at the top, so I think I could have also used more filling. On to the next pie!

Come back here on Thursday for Baking and Mistaking's first ever giveaway! That's right, sticking with me could get you a great prize. See you then!

Tip of the Day: When a recipe, like pie dough or other pastries, calls for very cold butter, I find it helpful to stick it in the freezer for a little bit before using.

Recipe:
Crust: (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 sticks (1 cup) very cold butter or margarine
ice water

Stir together the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
Dice the two sticks of butter into small pieces and sprinkle over the flour.
Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dough until the butter pieces are the size of peas. Alternatively, pulse in food processor until it reaches that stage.
Drizzle 1/2 cup of ice cold water over the dough, and using a spatula, gather together.
Add up to 1/4 cup more of water, very slowly, until dough comes together easily.
Divide in half and wrap two discs of dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour.

Filling: (adapted from Food.com)

5 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (I used about 2 1/2 pounds)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 egg
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp turbinado sugar

Stir the peaches with the sugar and set aside for a half hour. Drain any excess fluid.
Stir in the flour and cinnamon. Set aside.

Remove one of the discs of dough from the fridge, and, on a very well floured surface, roll out to about a 12-inch circle.
Carefully transfer the circle to a 9 inch pie pan. Trim the edges, and crimp all around with the tips of your fingers.
Spoon the filling mixture into the crust, leaving any excess liquid behind in the bowl.
Remove the second disc of dough from the fridge, and roll out into an approximately 10 inch circle.
Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, slice the dough into even strips.
(For a visual aid of the next steps, check out this valuable diagram.)
Using every other strip, space them evenly over the pie crust.
Then fold every other one of those strips back, and place the smallest of the remaining strips on top. Fold the strips back, then place the next remaining strip on, continuing to alternate until all strips are used up.
You may need to trim some of the strips to fit. Press the edges down and crimp to correspond with the crust.
Beat together the egg and milk, and brush it over the latticed top. Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
Bake on 425 F for 35 to 45 minutes.

Note: You may, in the dough rolling process, find yourself ready to lift your dough and it hopelessly stuck to the counter. Never fear! Scrape the dough up, knead in a few tablespoons of flour and start over. You may want to give it a quick stint in the fridge or freezer before continuing.

4 comments:

  1. That looks delish! Peach is my fav pie!! I've done lattice tops before and they're a little bit of a PIA, but they're worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh! Guess Im coming back Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful and really makes me want to have a go at a lattice top for a pie.

    ReplyDelete