Thursday, July 8, 2010

Guest Post! - Sort of Petit Fours

Well, as promised, you won't be hearing from me today, instead my friend Sarah will provide Baking and Mistaking with its very first guest post! I'd introduce her, but she does a pretty good job of that herself. I'll try to keep quiet, but there is a chance I may have some things to say. Especially since Sarah and I had a twenty minute argument about this very dessert. Anyway, that's enough from me for now....

Hello online world and loyal BaM readers! My name is Sarah. Maybe you know me from the cow cake, or maybe the airplane cake, or maybe even the cupcake cones? I’ve also been mentioned in various other posts and helped boost Amy’s baking ego with my failure in hamantaschen making (although I was definitely better than Laura). I also gave Amy her apron, with the help of my mother (OK, my mom did all the work. I just picked out the fabrics). I pride myself on being Amy’s most mentioned friend on her blog, the fact that I have eaten the majority of things featured here, and the fact that I have commented on many a blog post. Am I lame? Definitely. But that is why Amy and I are such good friends. That and our sarcasm.


(Sarah! I have textual proof of the time you complained to me that you feel like you never get to eat anything on here. Let the record be clear. Carry on...)


Anyway, I am here today with a guest post! This is a first for BaM! Amy has bugged me in the past to do this, and she never thought I would! She first asked me to do it when I made ebelskivers, but that was last summer, so it’s about time I prove her wrong.

Here are the ebelskivers I made with my parents!


I just moved into a new apartment and it is wonderful, mainly because I have a freezer, countertops, and an oven, none of which were in my previous apartment. So this means I have been dying to bake! And to help, for my birthday/graduation, I got a beautiful KitchenAid mixer in pistachio!


(In fact you also have a kitchen now, since I don't think the previous arrangement of sink, mini fridge and microwave really qualifies as one.)

And thus I began a mission to bake. What was first on my list? My all-time favorite, lemon petit fours! The recipe is from the back of a pan my brother and I got my mother years ago from Williams-Sonoma. (Something along the lines of this.) Now, I wasn’t about to go out and spend the money on that pan so I improvised and got a mini mini muffin pan from Kmart, so you can pretty much use any small pan.


(And here the argument begins (actually continues). Sarah! These are not petit fours! Petit fours are square! These are mini cupcakes. Very cute mini cupcakes. And no, I don't care what Williams-Sonoma says. But sorry for hijacking your guest post.)


I didn’t take any pictures along the way because I wasn’t anticipating a guest post, but the recipe is super easy!

Happy Amy? I wrote a guest post.


Tip of the Day: Never piss off a friend who bakes. You will suffer.

I have no idea what you mean....


Recipe:

Batter

1 1/3 cups flour

¾ tsp baking powder

¼ tsp salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

¾ cup sugar

2 eggs

1 ½ tsps lemon juice

1 ½ tsps vanilla

1/3 cup milk

Glaze

4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted

2 egg whites

¼ cup milk

2 tbsps lemon juice

a few drops of yellow food coloring

Beat butter well. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.

Add eggs, vanilla, and lemon juice.

Alternate between adding milk and flour/baking powder/salt.

Pour batter into well greased pan. Bake 350 degrees for 10 minutes or so. (Universal baking tip from my mother: Always underbake! You can always bake something more, but once it is overdone, there is nothing you can do. Always bake less than what a recipe says to allow for differences in ovens and then bake for 1 to 3 minutes more at a time.)

While they are baking, make the glaze, mixing all the ingredients together .

Once the cakes have finished baking let them cool. To help this process and to stop the baking, take the cakes out of the pan and let them rest on a cooling rack with a baking pan underneath. Once they are fully cooled, you can dip them in the glaze, which will drip, hence the cookie sheet underneath. Let the glaze sit and do a second round of dipping. VoilĂ !

2 comments:

  1. FYI, at home, "ebelskivers" would properly be referred to as "oober-skoovers.

    Sarah's Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) I need to make "oober-skoovers"
    B) I agree with other Sarah that Petit Fours dont have to be square
    C) I agree with Amy that what other Sarah made are, in fact, mini cupcakes

    ReplyDelete