Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lemon Crinkle Cookies

As a lover of all things lemon, I'm always looking for a good lemon cookie recipe. But a lot of the recipes I find call for cake mixes, and while I'm not a cake mix snob (they do serve a purpose), I know I can make a better cookie than that. So when I found this recipe, I knew I had to try it. And while many of you may feel about shortening the way I do about cake mixes (fine for you, but don't let it in my kitchen), they really produce a different textured cookie than butter.
Baked goods made with shortening are generally more crumbly and tender than those with butter or margarine, but shortening has none of its own flavor. It is a 100% fat as opposed to butter which is around 80%.
These cookies called for ginger, which I did not have, so I subbed in a little cinnamon. (I know, sacrilege.)
I think I wouldn't mind leaving it out entirely next time, and letting the lemon flavor of these shine through alone.
Tip of the Day: If you want all your cookies to be uniform in size and shape, form them in the bowl of a tablespoon measurement - it'll give you a good guide to get your shape.

Recipe: (from RecipeZaar)
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp ginger
pinch salt
2 tbsp sugar, for rolling

Cream the shortening and brown sugar together.
Add in the egg and lemon zest, mixing well.
Stir in the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, ginger and salt.
Roll tablespoons of dough in to balls, and roll in the sugar.
Bake at 350 F for 10 to 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment