Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Chocolate Dipped Oatmeal Shortbread Sticks

I made chocolate dipped oatmeal shortbread bars. I think I like the idea of dipping things in chocolate.
The recipe for these came from one of my new cookbooks, Bars and Squares. If you've been around here more than a week, you know how much I love bars. And squares.
So these bars are baked up in one 9x13" pan, and then cut into bars as soon as they come out of the oven, so they're easier to cut when cool.Though this recipe didn't actually call to be dipped in chocolate, another one on the same page did, and I figured it was a pretty good idea.
Originally, I had this grand idea to make long sticks and dip both ends in chocolate. But that was just too heavy to sustain, so a lot of them broke, and I decided it was better to make them all short and cute. Plus I got to eat some broken pieces along the way.
Did I mention that these were really easy? Five ingredients. One bowl. And with oats and brown sugar, they had a really great flavor and texture. They're just fine without being dipped in chocolate, or you could even make them chocolate chip!

Tip of the Day: Melting chocolate for dipping or decorating with a touch of vegetable oil ensures that it will dry nicely, and mimic "tempering" of chocolate.

Recipe:
(from Bars and Squares by Jill Snider)

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cups rolled oats

Optional: melted chocolate with a pinch of vegetable oil mixed in.

Beat the sugar and butter together until light and creamy.
Stir in the flour, cinnamon and oats, mixing well.
Use your hands to make sure the dough comes together cohesively.
Press the dough in to an ungreased 9x13" pan. Bake on 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes.
Score in to bars or squares as soon as it comes out of the oven, then let cool.

If dipping in chocolate, melt some semi-sweet chocolate with a touch of vegetable oil together.
Dip bars in chocolate and then place on wax paper. Refrigerate until set.


3 comments:

  1. Hi! Can you look at the recipe you put up again? I think there is a listing of flour twice, and I am unsure of the other ingredient. Can't wait to make these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz -

    You're right, as usual, I screwed up! It should be one cup of butter at the top. It's fixed now - let me know how they turn out!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete