Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cookie Cupcakes

I'm always looking to try something new, and when I stumbled across these cookie cupcakes (a cookie! But in a cupcake!) I just had to add them to my list.
This recipe has basically two parts - the batter, that goes in the muffin tins first, and is baked for ten minutes - then the filling, which is added to the half-baked cupcakes and then they're returned to the oven.
Now, the original recipe called for chopped walnuts, which of course I omitted, but I caved and added some chopped almonds (all we had in the house!) to 4 out of the 12 cupcakes. That is 4 less I couldn't eat.
These were pretty interesting and different- very heavy and dense - cookie like when you expect a cupcake, but great flavor overall.

I would know:
Tip of the Day: The quality of your chocolate (chips) can make all the difference in a recipe. Just as they say with wine, don't bake with chocolate you wouldn't want to eat. I recommend Trader Joe's semi-sweet chocolate chips for relatively inexpensive quality.

Recipe:
(from Bakin' Bits)
Cupcakes:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
6 tbsps sugar
6 tbsps packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup plus 2 tbsps flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Filling:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted)

Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
Gradually mix in the flour, baking soda and salt.
Fill 12 paper-lined cupcakes about halfway full. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
While they're baking, beat the brown sugar, egg and salt together. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
When the cupcakes come out of the oven, drop the filling by rounded tablespoonful in to the center of each. Bake an additional 10 minutes.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. This I would eat. But just like you, without the walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! I will have to try them! Cute blog! :)

    ReplyDelete