Thursday, September 13, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Chocolate Cupcakes

I'm not a vegan. Not even close. But I do run out of eggs sometimes, and I do like to stretch my baking horizons. These vegan chocolate cupcakes are easy and delicious - you won't miss eggs or milk - or even butter - at all!
Instead of eggs, the cupcakes get their rise from baking soda and a little vinegar (which you don't taste in the final product). The end result is light, fluffy and still overwhelmingly chocolate-y. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I topped them with more chocolate. And then just a little more chocolate.

The little decorations are chocolate cookie balls, and I can find them in most candy stores here - but I'm sure they're not too hard to find in the US as well. You can also use chocolate covered nuts, raisins or coffee beans for a similar effect.


Recipe: Makes about 12 cupcakes
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoons white vinegar
1/2 cups cold water
1/2 cup soy milk

Chocolate ganache - made with semisweet chocolate and soy milk

Mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa power, baking soda and salt.
Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the oil, vinegar, water and soy milk. Whisk together until the dry ingredients are all incorporated  - be careful not to overmix.
Divide the mixture up between 12 paper-lined muffin cups.
Bake on 350 F for 20-24 minutes or until test done.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then place on a wire rack until completely cool before frosting with chocolate ganache.

3 comments:

  1. Wow I am so blessed to be the first to have a thought on your cupcake recipe....I always a fond of chocolate cup cake and I did write down your whole recipe on paper and I am just shortly going to try at my coming weekend...once again Awesome recipe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy and delicious cupcake gift; not only for valentine for every occasion! Especially for chocolate lovers like me – I really love chocolates from vegan chocolate suppliers in my local vicinity.

    ReplyDelete