Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Peppermint Patties

I would like to officially announce this week as candy week here on Baking and Mistaking! For some reason, this season is a prime time for candy making. I'm not quite sure why, since I eat candy year round. No really, I do, promise. But nevertheless - today I present you with homemade peppermint patties. And come back later this week for even more candy!


 Let's talk about the important things first: Taste. These were really delicious. Just like the storebought creation, only somehow fresher tasting. I would definitely make these again...except I'd need to solve a couple problems first.
The basics of making these are fairly simple - you mix up the ingredients for the centers, roll them into patties, flash freeze them and dip them in melted chocolate. My problem was that as soon as I dunked them in chocolate, they started to melt and fall apart, and I had to sort of scoop them out and attempt to form them back into shape. I think perhaps I should have used cream in the centers instead of milk. I'll just have to try again!
I was going to clear off the table to take some photos of these (which aren't terribly photogenic to begin with) and as I was about to shift all the cookbooks off the table, I figured - why bother? I think my stacks of books are an appropriate backdrop for candy. 


Tip of the Day: Flash freezing isn't just for making peppermint patties - it's a great trick for freezing leftover cookie dough. Roll your dough into the right shape, stick them on a baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes until solid. Then stick them in a freezer bag, and you can have freshly baked cookies in no time when the mood strikes.

Recipe: (adapted from thekitchn.com)
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoons peppermint extract*
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cream
8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon oil

Cream together the sugar, butter, peppermint, vanilla and cream.  Beat for several minutes until smooth. 
Roll a teaspoon of the mixture at a time into a ball, and flatten them slightly on to parchment-paper lined baking sheets. Flash freeze the patties for 20 to 30 minutes. 
Melt the chocolate and oil together. Dip the patties into the chocolate one at a time, allowing any excess to drip off. Place them back on the parchment paper. When completed, return the sheet to the freezer until hard. 
I preferred to store mine in the freezer - the fridge would also be fine, but I wouldn't leave them out at room temperature. 


*Peppermint extract is not the easiest ingredient to find, but do not substitute "mint" extract instead - unless you want a mouth full of chocolate covered toothpaste.

1 comment:

  1. Jika penderita penyakit ini adalah wanita maka biasanya daerah pertumbuhan kutil terjadi di bagian vagina, vulva atau perineum, anus dan leher rahim. Gejala yang terlihat pada penderita bukan hanya dari penampilan kutilnya saja yang seperti kembang kol, tapi pertumbuhan kulit yang terjadi di sekitar anus dan daerah vagina ini juga akan dirasakan gatal atau sensasi terbakar oleh penderita. pengobatan untuk kutil di kelamin pria definisi gejala dan stadium dari penyakit sipilis silahkan Cek selengkapnya
    Terbukti bahwa akibat hemorroid tersebut juga ada banyak sehingga anda harus segera mengobatinya dan menjaga pola hidup yang sehat agar terhindar juga dari penyakit lainnya. Karena setiap orang pastinya ingin selalu sehat dan tidak mau ada gangguan apapun maupun penyakit yang terbilang ringan sekalipun. Karena tetap saja namanya sudah penyakit. Termasuk penyakit hemorroid yang mengganggu ini. Obat Ambeien Keluar Darah untuk anda yang menderita penyakit ambeien dan ingin sembuh silahkan Tumbuh Kutil Di Sekitar Kemaluan Untuk informasi lebih detail tentang penyakit sipilis kunjungi website

    ReplyDelete