Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins....the hard way

I'm not big on free time these days. Or sleep. But somehow, when I managed to have a few hours on a Sunday free of all obligations, I decided to buy a pumpkin. Some people buy pumpkins to carve into scary faces and put on their porches. I bought a pumpkin to eat. And about six hours later...my pumpkin became muffins.

Now, I know the "experts" recommend you buy a mini pumpkin if you plan on actually eating it (they're generally known as "pie pumpkins," because, you know..). But I've never really listened to such "experts." And it was way more fun to pick up a hunka hunka pumpkin. So I did.
Then, because I couldn't really resist, I drew a face on it. Not a particularly inventive face.

And then I made the mistake of letting my brother draw a face on the other side. Guess who it's supposed to be?But fun and games aside, I had a pumpkin to cook! I needed one heck of a knife (read: serrated bread knife with a 10" blade). After I had scooped out all the seeds and innards (which I saved and roasted for a tasty snack) I hacked it into several enormous pieces. And steamed it in the microwave until the flesh was soft. Then I sliced it off the skin and pureed it all up. If you're tempted to use the food processor for this, I would advise against it. I'm not sure why, but I had a great deal more success with an immersion blender.
Once I had my pumpkin puree all set it was simple to whip up these light, flavorful muffins. I adapted these from the original recipe to make them slightly healthier - with 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 apple butter instead of oil. I'm not sure what came over me. I'm sure I'll be back to butter and sugar by the next post.
Of course, if you think I'm completely insane, but still want some awesome muffins, just crack open a can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling). It will take approximately 4 hours less. So...now I have a quart of pumpkin puree sitting in my freezer. Any suggestions?

Recipe: (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

2 cups pumpkin puree
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple butter or applesauce
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Topping:
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tbsp sugar

Whisk together the pumpkin, oil, apple butter or apple sauce, eggs, cinnamon, 2 cups sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until smooth.
Whisk in the flour and baking powder until just combined – don’t overbeat.
Stir together the cinnamon and remaining tablespoon of sugar in another bowl.
Divide batter among 24 paper-lined muffin cups (each should be about three-fourths full), then sprinkle the tops with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Bake at 350 F until about 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Cool in the pan for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

  1. These sound awesome and kudos to you for doing it the "hard" way.

    BH&G has TONS of pumpkin recipes - I'm sure you could find something in there that catches your fancy.

    Me, personally, I love curried pumpkin bisque. SO comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the docs I work with brought me two huge containers of fresh pumpkin puree and I was looking for new pumpkin recipes. I'm printing this one up now and I'm going to use it this weekend (though I doubt I'll make the "healthier" version). LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Too much work. I'll stick to the can and the can opener for my labor - lol. Recipe looks great - will definitely be giving this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dalam pengobatan ambeien secara alami di gunakan obat yang berguna untuk, menurunkan ekstravasasi kapiler, meningkatkan kontraksi vena, serta untuk menghambat reaksi inflamasi pada PGE 2, atau PGF 2 (ProstsGlandin). Dengan hadir obat ini tentunya memberikan angin segar buat para penderita yang enggan atau pun takut di operasi. Karena pasca operasi masih mungkin terjadinya penyempitan saluran dubur, thrombosis, dan juga pendarahan. Komplikasi juga dapat timbul setelah tindakan operasi di lakukan seperti selulitis, fistula, inkontinesia, pendarahan sekunder, abses, dan fissure. Bagaimana Mengobati Ambeien Secara Alami untuk mengetahui info tentang penyakit ambeien silahkan baca selengkapnya
    Dan gejalanya pun ringan, sehingga banyak juga wanita yang telat menyadari bahwa itu adalah penyakit kelamin yang menular. Bahkan penularannya pun sama dengan gejalanya, tidak dapat disadari dengan baik. Pada penderita penyakit gonore raja singa wanita, ada beberapa gejala yang sering kali terjadi. Diantaranya meliputi, sering kali ingin buang air kecil tapi pada saat buang air kecil ternyata hanya sedikit dan rasanya pun sakit. Lalu, di bagian anus terasa gatal, sakit dan bahkan terjadi perdarahan. Cairan yang keluar dari vagina terbilang abnormal atau tidak sama seperti yang biasanya. Bahkan ada perdarahan yang terjadi pada vagina, sebelum atau sesudah berhubungan seksual. Itulah gejala yang harus segera anda waspadai. Mengobati Penyakit Kencing Nanah Gonore untuk solusi dari penyakit kencing nanah yang anda derita silahkan http://pusatherbal.org/cara-mengobati-penyakit-kencing-nanah/
    Secara lebih spesifik lagi dikatakan bahwa penyakit ini disebabkan oleh penderita yang terlalu lama duduk sehingga menyebabkan ketegangan, atau bisa juga karena wanita yang sedang dalam keadaan hamil sehingga mengakibatkan adanya tekanan dalam rahim yang semakin membesar. benjolan wasir bisa hilang dengan herbal cara mengobati penyakit ambeien yang aman tanpa efek samping silahkan Cek selengkapnya
    Jika cairan yang terinfeksi mengenai mata, maka bisa menyebabkan terjadinya infeksi mata luar (konjungtivitis gonore). Bayi yang baru lahir juga bisa terinfeksi gonore dari ibunya selama proses persalinan sehingga terjadi pembengkakan pada kedua kelopak matanya dan dari matanya keluar nanah. Jika infeksi itu tidak diobati, maka akan menimbulkan kebutaan. obat untuk kemaluan keluar nanah tentang penyakit sipilis secara detail silahkan kunjungi sekarang

    ReplyDelete