Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lemon Tartlets

I have a new toy. No, it's not the American Girl Doll I begged for for most of my childhood (and never got.) And it's not this iPad I've been hearing so much about but can't quite think of a use for. No, instead it's my new mini-muffin pan that's got my heart all a-flutter. Now while I bought the pan to make mini cupcakes (which you'll be seeing in the future), I decided I really, really need to make some adorable lemon tartlets first.
Mission accomplished! Now on to the cupcakes. Oh - you want to hear more about these? Fine.

Well I did run into a little difficulty...see the recipe called for a "tart shaper" - which is about as extraordinarily single-use as you can get (Alton Brown would not be pleased) but does the specific task of forming the dough into the shells.
Now of course with my superior intellect and talent I figured I could accomplish it quite alright on my own, with the use of my fingers and perhaps the handle of a wooden spoon. Well I did manage, but it took forever and was not that easy. Then I spent 20 minutes panicking that they would never come out of their shells, it simply wasn't possible, how would they ever be removed cleanly and then....oh. They did. And how.
Tip of the Day: Perhaps invest in a tart shaper? Or perhaps ask your blog readers for advice on a suitable alternative?

Recipe:

Shells:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 1/4 cups flour

Filling:
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
2 tsp lemon zest
3 tbsp lemon juice
Powdered Sugar

Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the egg white and blend well.
Add in the flour until just blended.
Press about a tablespoon of dough into each greased tart shell of a 24-cup mini muffin pan - preferably with a tart shaper.
Set aside.

Whisk the eggs and sugar together. Add in the melted butter.
Add in the zest and juice and blend well.
Divide evenly among tart shells.

Carefully transfer to 325 F oven and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until edges and light brown.
Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately before serving.

4 comments:

  1. Good thing I don't make tarts - LOL But, if you were to get a tart shaper, it loosk like they're not very expensive. Either way, those look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bar muddler might do the trick and then you can make a cocktail after:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanton-Trading-114-Muddler-Hardwood/dp/B002S5221K/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1277918712&sr=8-15

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about using a shot glass to tamp in down in the proper shape?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the helpful tips - and I love that they were both alcohol themed. Perhaps I should start a booze-themed spinoff blog?

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete